Side Impact Hard Hats Buyers Guide
Hard hats are also known as safety helmets, which are specially designed to protect your uppermost part of the body and also the most vulnerable part of the body, that is the head. There are two types of impact hard hats available in the market. It’s kind of confusing to choose the appropriate type of hats to be worn at work. The type 1 hats are – the hats designed to protect from impacts on top of the head. The type 2 hats are – intended to reduce the force of side impacts on the head. Side impact can come from any other sharp ends or blow from the machines.
So make sure you know what kind of risk is there in your workplace. In this whole post, we are going to show you some best impact hard hats/ safety helmet that would protect you from side impacts, which means the type 2 hats. So before going into the actual products, there’s a buyer’s guide, which will help you to know what is good for you.
Over the years, the design and technology of hard hats have been developed a lot. Now we can see a variety of options available in the market. But we need to make sure that a hard hat is not a fashion statement, but a requirement of workers. So we need to make sure we look after some of the basic features that are important to choose the best hat for you:
- Material: in all our posts about hard hats, we discuss this point very often and repeat it, because it’s the most important point. The materials used to make a hard hat are the base of all features. No matter, if you are looking for a side-impact hat or top impact hard hats, the material used in it, will affect the level of protection. We would recommend looking forward to materials like ABS plastics or polyethylene that are strong, durable, and light-weighted.
- ANSI approved: very often you will notice that the products are signed or approved by ANSI. Industrial head protection are classified into 2 types;
Type I for top protection and Type II for lateral protection. Even there are some class ratings as follows –
- Class E – E stands for electrical, this class of hat provides the greatest protection against electrocution. It is rated to protect against exposure to high-voltage electrical conductors, to a maximum of 20,000 volts.
- Class G – G stands for General; this class of hat is the most common type of hard hat. It has been tested to provide protection against low-voltage conductors, to a maximum of 2,200 volts.
- Class C – C here stands for Conductive, these hats provide no electrical protection.
So always analyze your work environment and the requirement of it, and then select the perfect hard hat for you.
- Adjustable fit: good head hats will allow the users to adjust the size and position for optimum comfort and performance. Basically the Ratchet style adjustment is considered the most convenient and widely used suspension. This makes the hat more users friendly and comfortable.
With numerous brands in the market that are competing, provide many different new features that will enhance the performance and also comfort level. Some additional features may also be there like sweatband and foam insert to make it more comfortable. So keeping in mind all of it, let’s begin with the products.
North Hard Hat Full Brim Side Impact
North safety is a top brand that manufactures an ideal hard hat to protect your head from every side impact.
The hat features a foam liner for lateral impact protection that a worker may be exposed to, like a blow to the side, front or rear of the head, along with any falling debris, rain, and sunlight.
Feature and Benefits
- There are 2 levels of adjusting heights that is ‘Low and high’, for greater stability, balance, and retention.
- The helmet also has an ergonomic headband for easy adjustment to 3 sizes that is, ‘S, M/L, and XL’, with a 6-point nylon web ratchet-style suspension which makes it easier to adjust. The headband has the moisture-wicking ability and breathable, with an easily replaceable and washable feature.
- The helmet is fully brim and low-profile design is used to increase the field of vision and user mobility. The design also enables the user to wear it in reverse position too with the same comfort and stability.
- There are slots available for cap-mounted earmuffs, face shields, and other PPE accessories.
- Manufacturer: Honeywell
- Weight:5 ounces
- Dimensions:2 x 6.61 x 0.16 inches
- Batteries: not required
Advantages and Disadvantages
New Version MSA Vangard II Type II Hard Hats with Fas-Trac 3 Suspension – Red Color
The MSA products always offer an optimum level of safety and protection through its amazing design.
The MSA Vangard hard hats are ideal for every kind of environment, but especially it is made to protect the head from side impacts. These hard hats meet all of the requirements for ANSI type II hard hats.
Features and Requirements
- It is perfect for the environment or industry where chances of having significant side impacts are more. This helmet offers the finest protection against both top and lateral side impacts.
- These helmets have the new Fas-Trac III Ratchet suspension, which would make it easier to adjust.
- These hats come with a foam insert, which wraps around the inside of the shell. This provides additional safety and comfort to your head while working.
- It meets the ANSI/ISEA Z89.1-2014 (Class E, Type II) and CSA Z94.1-2005 (Class E, Type II), Third-Party Certified by SEI. It has also been certified by Canadian Safety Regulations.
- Manufacturer: MSA
- Color: Red
- Style: Fas-Trac III Ratchet Suspension
- Type: Type II
- Batteries: Not Required
Advantages and Disadvantages
Dynamic Safety HP642R/01 Kilimanjaro Hard Hat with 4-Point Nylon Suspension and Sure-Lock Ratchet Adjustment, ANSI Type II, One Size, White
This full brim hat is the best choice for any sized head and suits all environments.
This hat offers complete protection to the head from falling objects from top or side impacts. It has an additional quality of protecting your head, ear, and neck from harmful UV rays.
Features and Benefits
- The hat has a sleek and attractive design and is made up of high-density polyethylene shell. The hat has a wide surface for greater custom designs and logos.
- The hat not only protects from falling debris and objects from the top and blows from the side, but also provides protection from sunlight that contains harmful UV rays. The helmet keeps the workers safe inside (from falling objects) and also outside (from sun rays). This is a unique combination of protection.
- There is ‘sure-lock’ Ratchet adjustment suspension in the helmet that makes the process of adjusting the helmet very comfortable and stable. It also has accessory slots and chin strap attachments that would make it more stable and useful.
- The hat has a comfortable padded crown and also foam is provided inside the ratchet to make it the most comfortable hats available.
- Manufacturer: Dynamic Safety
- Dimension: 13 x 11.5 x 6 inches
- Weight:6 ounces
- Material: polyethylene
Advantages and Disadvantages
After these great options for hard hats that are specially meant for side impacts, it would be clear to you which of the product will be best for you. We have already given a buyer’s guide to help you out. Even if you still have a doubt, we can assure you that ‘Dynamic Safety’s products’ would be the best option for any average person. Dynamic Safety is a company that has been making products for hand safety from years and now head safety too. They are known for the best quality products and the level of protection these products offer. Though MSA is an old and much reliable company in the field of safety hats, in this particular category, Dynamic Safety may be a better choice for you. It not only provides protection from impacts, but also from harmful sunrays. While working, we often ignore the sunrays and the harmful UV rays it carries, so this helmet will save you from everything that has chances to damage your head, neck, and ear.
There are plenty of choices in the market, even if you are not satisfied with the results, you can search more and get what you need. Make sure you do not compromise on your comfort while searching for the best protection; because an uncomfortable hat may impact your work efficiency.