MSA Safety Helmet Buyers Guide
MSA safety helmet is well suited for industrial applications, constructions, mining, oil and gas, and utilities. The helmets offer protection during asbestos removal, spraying, and painting, sanding, and grinding. Basically it protects the worker’s head against impacts from objects falling from above or by resisting blows to the head. The older models only protect your head from impacts coming from above, but some new models also protect from impacts coming from front and back, or side to side.
It is necessary to identify the task to be carried out by the worker as well as the constraints and risks of the activity that needs to be provided. The level of safety required from the helmet depends on the kind of work the worker does. MSA hard hats are mainly manufactured for industrial use. But you have to make sure you buy the correct hat for the kind of work you are doing in the industry too. Following is a buyer’s guide that may help you to understand in detail.
First, you need to know what a safety helmet is made of –
- The cover protects the head from various impacts.
- The harness provides shock absorption.
- The chinstrap, an adjustable strap under the chin, keeps the helmet on the head even if you move your head continuously.
What makes a good purchase? It is vital to clearly know all about the hats before you buy it. Hard hats are necessary for every industry; mining, firefighting, electricians, plumbers, welders, loggers, and many others. So here are a few factors that you should be aware of:
- Job and work environment
In assessing the type and class of your hardhat, first, you need to be clear about your job and where do you work and what are the risks in this job? Make sure the hard hat you choose is best for the type of job you do. Assessing your work environment is very important. The hats are manufactured according to the specific work. So always consider buying hats that suit your job.
When it comes to the type of head protection, there are basically 2 types of hard hats:
- Hard hats that only protect against objects that fall from above or may penetrate from above you.
- Other hard hats that protect you from all direction blows; not just from the top, but also side to side and front to back.
When it comes to electric work specifically, there are three classes of hard hats to protect the head against shocks that are as follows:
- Class E – E stands for electrical, this class of hat provides the greatest protection against electrocution. It is rated to protect against exposure to high-voltage electrical conductors, to a maximum of 20,000 volts.
- Class G – G stands for General; this class of hat is the most common type of hard hat. It has been tested to provide protection against low-voltage conductors, to a maximum of 2,200 volts.
- Class C – C here stands for Conductive, these hats provide no electrical protection.
There are many hard hats available in the market that is made up of different materials. Many believe that it is preferable to buy lightweight helmets so that it does not bother you while working. But we would recommend you to look after the aspect of protection before comfort.
Plastics are the most common material to make hardhat. But there are many other materials that are used for different works and industries, like for the molten metal industry, you should prefer fiberglass hardhats. We would prefer you to go with non-conducting plastic helmets for a lineman or electrician work.
- Suspension mechanism
As the backbone of hardhats, the suspension system is an important factor while selecting the hardhats for your specific need. It has 2 types that are defined by the adjustment mechanism used:
- Pin-Lock suspension – hats with pin-lock suspension have a locking mechanism that could be compared to a regular belt. To lock the pin, a proper hole is provided.
- Ratchet suspension – ratchet suspension features a quick ratchet-adjusting knob. You just have to turn the knob to loosen or tighten it.
- Suspension points
Most hardhats consist of four, six, or eight suspension points. The more suspension points, the higher the hardhat’s ability to spread out the force of an impact and reduce the risk of injury.
With numerous brands in the market that are competing, provide many different new features that will enhance the performance and also comfort level. Some additional features like a head cooler, terry cloth, and vinyl brow pads to keep sweat off the eyes, etc. but you should always consider these extra features after you know the basic qualities and select according to them. So now let’s start with the best lineman hard hat options for you.
MSA 475395 Skullgard Protective Hard Hat Front Brim, Fas-Trac III Suspension, Standard Size, Natural Tan
The Skullgard hat is designed to give perfect protection in hot and dangerous industries.
Skullgard caps feature heavy-duty construction for use in steel mills and other heavy industries where elevated temperatures are common. These hardhats are extremely comfortable and easy to wear.
Feature and Benefits
- These hard hats have been tested to radiant heat loads producing temperatures up to, but not exceeding 350F.
- It not only protects your head from objects coming from above but also gives protection from vertical impacts and penetrations.
- It is equipped with fast-trac III ratchet-style suspension for easy fast size adjustment and provides all-day comfort.
- The size is standard that can fit any average person.
- Weight: 181 grams
- Dimension:58 x 21. 59 x 15.24 cm
- Material: plastic
- Style: Fas-Trac III suspension
Advantages and Disadvantages
MSA 475407 Natural Tan Skullgard Hard Hat with Fas-Trac Suspension
This is a specially designed hard hat with a fas-trac style that gives total protection from high temperatures.
It is designed to offer protection in extreme radiant heat emitting from dangerous industries (but not exceeding 350F). It sets t
he standard for environments such as steel mills.
Features and Benefits
- The hard hat is designed with a full brim hat style, which will keep the rain off the back of the neck.
- This hat is easy to adjust because of the fast-trac ratchet-style suspension, a knob-adjustable system that enables you to adjust and fit while wearing the hat.
- The quality of this helmet is superior and very comfortable. The hat protects from extreme heat and also from various heavy injuries. It works with all skull guard helmet accessories.
- It has a smooth crown that helps in the easy use of MSA welding equipment.
- These are made of phenolic material rather than traditional plastic. It is popular with the shipbuilding, construction, and welding industry. This material can withstand high temperatures easily.
- Dimension: 5 x 9.5 x 9.5 inches
- Weight: 12 ounces
- Brand: MSA
- Style: fast-trac ratchet-style suspension
Advantages and Disadvantages
All of the above are some of the suggestions for a hard hat, this might not suit you particularly; we give general suggestions and list out the best that would suit the maximum people. Choose whatever suits your job and needs. There are many options in the market.
Basically these two are meant for the use in industry where you need some protection from the temperature that is produced. We would suggest you consider the 2nd one that is ‘MSA 475407 Natural Tan Skullgard Hard Hat with Fas-Trac Suspension’. It is made with phenolic plastics and heat resistant, also it offers the full brim style hat and ratchet-style suspension. This is a perfect package that could really help you to work better and be comfortable.